Tuesday, April 6, 2010

M.C. Higgins is Great

After today's discussion of "difficulty" in reading literature and the reading of Virginia Hamilton's M.C. Higgins, the Great, my ability to accept challenges I face when reading has reached a knew level of understanding. Up until reading M.C. Higgins I did not think that reading "children's literature" could pose as something difficult for a college level student like myself. However, I did hold the belief that children's literature had the power to challenge readers on all levels. A book that I had never heard of and most likely would not have ever read, M.C. Higgins, the Great has undoubtedly become one of the most influential books I have read in this class and possibly my entire semester.

As I addressed in class, the first three pages posed to be the biggest "difficulty" I was forced to battle through in the text. I quickly began to question my ability to get through the entire book. In having to re-read sentences, paragraphs and entire pages over and over again, I found myself wondering how children would deal with this challenge. What I do know is how I would have dealt with it as a child and that would have been closing the book and putting it on the shelf. After Molly addressed the fact that a book's challenging of the reader can related to an individual difficulty, I was able to start confronting my dilemma head on. While I initially thought it was the vocabulary that made the first three pages so difficult for me, dwelling on the topic after class and while preparing for this blog I have come to think of various other possibilities of why I found those pages so difficult. Regardless of whether it is difficult vocabulary, sentence structure, punctuation, word choice and placement, or tone pace, an exact pin-pointing of what is so difficult can only be uncovered through more confrontations with texts that challenge me.

I am glad that I had the opportunity to read a story I had never read, much less heard of and that it resulted in such a positive reading experience for me. The ability to recognize a text as challenging and facing the difficulties it presents directly has not only made me a more careful reader but a more knowledgeable individual as a whole.

9 comments:

  1. I like how you said this text made you a more careful reader because of the difficulty. Often when I read I do it just for pleasure, but even fun reading requires you to follow a plot. Sometimes, if we aren't careful and don't take time to slow down and really grasp what is going on, we can miss out on important things. I never thought of being a "careful" or "careless" reader until now, so thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's interesting that you point out that you wouldn't expect for a children's novel to be challenging to a college student, but this book is. As we have been reading throughout the semester, there were several times that I thought, "This is a children's novel?" When I was in elementary and junior high school, we never looked at text the way we do in class and I wish we would have. I think that students can really benefit from reading difficult texts at all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your post both comforting and true. I had great difficulty getting started in the novel as well. It reminded me of Wizard of Earthsea and the difficulty that I faced when we first started this class. I went into the class with the mindset that everything was going to be easy to read and interpret and I have found that this class and these books is far more challenging than some of the college level literature that I am undertaking in my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post! I agree; I had a hard time reading this book. I wouldn't have put it in the category of a children's novel, but I learned things from the novel that are important for young readers to learn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I wasn't going to make it through the book as well. I found it weird that I had to reread paragraphs that were in a children's book. I'm glad some other people in the class dealt with the same issue. I think if children read books similar to M.C. then they will become better readers. They will be better readers than me, a senior who had a hard time reading a children's book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also found this book hard to read. I think that if I were a kid and not assigned to read it, I would have given up at page 3. I agree that if children read books like this it would make them better readers and help their vocabulary. I even stuggled with some of it. I could easily see how this book could also be very frustrating to children and make them not like to read. I know that if i were a kid and HAD to read this book, I definately would not have been pleased, and probally would not look forward to seeing whatelse the teacher had in store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too found it hard to get invested in the story - I cam only imagine how it would be for an actual child. But I think it is important to challenge kids and make the pay off all the more worthwhile. I think intertwining both types of difficulty can make for a stronger and more well-rounded reader

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great self-reflection, and I think it will help you when you are trying to tell other people about the book or help them read through it. I agree that this was a more difficult reading, and it was different than what I was used to. I have to admit that it made me curious because I did not immediately understand and ended up being a book I could not put down. I also liked Molly's presentation. It solidified the ways in which different readers engage with difficult texts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found it interesting when the class discussion went to the part about how so many found this text difficult to get through, especially in the first few pages. I think perhaps it has mostly to do with the fact that this story has many elements of my own culture. Where I live there is a family that no one goes near because they are believed to be practitioners of "witchcraft". Needless to say my neighbors are a superstitious lot...Anyway, I found it interesting since I did not have that much difficulty with M.C. Higgins, but rather I found Dicey's Song harder. I believe it is all a matter of perspecive and background.

    ReplyDelete